Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mark's Wedding

Mark got married! I think.. I don't know. They are going to have another wedding in America where they officially sign the papers or whatever. Either way, Suzie, Joon, Tyler, Alan, and I went to the ceremony here in Korea Saturday afternoon. It was very quick. While we were walking in, people from the wedding before were walking out. When you walk in, you hand these two men your envelope of cash (no card, unnecessary in Korea, just cash). They open the envelope up and mark down how much cash you gave. Then you walk into the little ceremony room. The ceremony only lasted about thirty minutes. Then you walk out and as you are walking out the people for the next wedding are walking in! Such an incredible turn over rate. These Korean weddings are a lucrative business.


After the wedding we met Cecily, Greg, and Armando out for the all you can wine and dine at the intercontinental hotel. By the end of the night we had endless amounts of wine on our table. I couldn't even finish my last glass. 


On Sunday, Greg, Tyler, Peter and I moped around our apartment building for a bit. We got some drinks and a bite to eat, then decided to do some "screen golfing". Screen golf is about as close to real golf in Seoul as you can get. It mixes real golf with a sort of video game. A little machine sets the ball up for you, then you use the controls to aim the ball where you want it to go. Then you choose a club (they have full sets of nice clubs) and have at it. You hit the ball at the screen and the computer computes where it would have gone. However, there were only right handed rooms, so Tyler and I (both lefties) had to play from the right side. Astonishingly, we finished first and second.  


I recently bought one of these earthenware bowls. They always serve soup in them in restaurants so I decided to get one myself. I'm trying to get the recipes down so I can replicate them at home. This one was doenjang jjigae. 


An this one is soondubu jjigae. This one didn't turn out too great. I think I know why and will be trying again soon. 


I've recently (literally the past 2 days) taken up drawing. I have been drawing these Naruto characters at work. I think I'm ready to become the next Dali. 


On Wednesday we got out of work early so I went to meet Cecily and Armando and their mutual friends for some trivia night. It's in a bar called Craftworks and they have a whole bunch of delicious home made brews. It was a nice respite from Cass. We won the first two rounds so we got a free round of drinks! 

When you want to get the attention of a waiter or waitress at a bar or restaurant, you just simply should out "Here!". It sounds pretty primal, but it is extremely effective and easy. So, at the bar I shouted out "Here!" and everyone told me that the waitresses all speak English. I immediately panicked. I couldn't for the life of me think of a way to get their attention in English! It was so strange.. I felt like English was a second language and I just couldn't speak it correctly. 


At cooking this week we made twice deep fried sweet and sour tofu. This was our guest chef. 



This is Jason from LA. He, Cecily, and I are the only ones who show up to cooking class every week no matter what. 



Our finished product! It looked delicious and was at first, but it was extremely sweet and sour (go figure) but not that pleasant after a while. Cecily loved it though (again, go figure). 


No comments:

Post a Comment