Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Familiar Face

Adam teaches English on Jeju Island (part of Korea) and him and some friends from the island came up to Seoul this past weekend. Adam and I went to Bucknell together, and he just so happens to live in Indiana, PA. He is known for his jorts and salvation army style, his whole house senior year had a real thing for denim attire, so on the train ride to meet him I was totally prepared to call him out and ask him where his jorts were. However, this is how I was greeted. We spent the night up in Hongdae, which is where they were staying. It is a big college area with a lot of bars and clubs and the like. After trying a few bars and getting rejected because they were full, we posted up on a curb outside a convenience store and just had some beers and talked for hours. I would much rather post up outside a convenience store than be in the bars and clubs anyway, and it turns out thats what he does in Jeju. It was nice to see and talk to someone from the same background, and especially nice to hear a Western PA accent.

On Sunday, we tried to go to a baseball game. One guy Grey who works at DYB in a Seoul satellite city bought us all tickets. We all met outside the gate, but Grey kept feeling like something was wrong. He checked the date for the tickets and they were for the June 6th game! He felt pretty bad but all was well.. Adam and his friend joined us for drinks at a bar nearby where we could watch the game. 


Monday was Buddha's birthday so it was a public holiday. So everywhere in Seoul had the day off, except us :/. Class started at 9 and ended at 3, so at least we were out early! We took advantage of the afternoon off by going to the rooftop bar and having some beers with British Emily, whom we haven't seen in a while. 


This week at cooking class we made Vietnamese spring rolls. 


Cecily was in charge of chopping the vegetables and I was in charge of plating. I was going for a nature scene, with the grass, ground, and a sun in the upper left corners. Imitation crab meat was the suns rays. Everyone else took the easy way out and just had everything separated on their plate. Borrrring.


Looks appetizing, doesn't it?


Today was also Cecily's birthday, so Myeonghee (the Korean girl who runs the cooking class) went out and bought her a surprise cake while we were cooking. While we were singing Cecily was awestruck and just clapping along and looking around. She looked like a baby celebrating her first birthday and just imitating what everyone around her was doing. 


The night before cooking class Peter texted me and told me that there was a really awesome festival going on in a place called Sadang. He said that this was the last day and they were going to have elephants and things. I was actually pretty excited to go, especially because it was my day off and the Sadang station was only one stop away from where cooking class is. However, halfway through cooking class and after some bragging to Cecily that I was going to see elephants today, I got a phone call from Peter. It started off a little weird, so I could tell something was up. He told me not to go to the festival, because there was no festival. He said he wanted me to go to Sadang, ask him about the festival, and him tell me there was no festival and if I could pick him up some liquid nicotine for his electronic cigarette. But, guilt caught up with him and he decided to call and warn me ahead of time. I would have gone and gotten him the nicotine if he would have just asked, but since he played this elaborate hoax I decided to blow him off. I later found out that he told Ben the plan the night before and they both had some laughs! Never trust a Brit.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment