Friday, December 30, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone!! Thank you everyone for the Christmas presents! Sorry it's been awhile.. our work schedule changed because the kids are out of middle school and come to academy more. A lots been happening these past two weeks!

On Tuesday the 20th we had a thing Mr Song calls "Vitamin E Day" where everyone involved with DYB goes to a meeting/lecture. We had to sit there for three hours and the whole thing was in Korean! It was a little hard to pay attention, but it wasn't too bad. We had to perform something, so we did the dance Suzie taught her classes to "Jingle Bell Rock". We definitely weren't the best act, but everyone got a good laugh. There was also some hired entertainers who played the drums and danced. This was the venue..


Unfortunately right after I took this picture we got moved to the front row..

We got to get some brunch afterwards though which was nice. This is the new girl in our branch, Cecily. She's 22 and graduated from Cornell in animal science! I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of myself all dressed up, I know it only happens once in a blue moon.


These were the flower decorations outside! I would have never thought of planting cabbage as decoration, but Koreans love their cabbage!


Mr Song gave us a little mini lecture after all the Korean teachers left thanking us for coming even though we didn't understand anything yada yada.. then he gave a recap of how the US is blowing it right now from some Economist article. He also gave us presents with his favorite quote "Fortune favors the prepared mind."


Its a keychain with an amulet for fulfilling wishes.. 


... and my wishes came true! That day at work my presents from home came in! I was so excited. I know I was supposed to open them on Christmas but I opened them all that day! 


On Thursday we had our Middle / Elementary school teachers secret santa gift exchange. I had Alan. All week he was making Star Wars character paper snowflakes (they are really cool) so I figured I'd get him something crafty. I got him some colored pencils, and since they didn't have any coloring books, I made him a Disney coloring book (naturally).  I got a pair of gloves, which was great, because its so cold right now! This is a picture of our gift exchange. Peter's opening his gift from Andrew. 


After we left the place where we opened gifts we went to this place. Some people went home but these were the survivors! 


Peter.. he's so British..


Boys will be boys.. This is Ben and Tyler with Greg, who teaches Elementary.. Tyler recently got moved to Songpa branch


Heres one of Tyler and I! I finally got a picture of myself on here


Here is Suzie and Kristen. Kristen has been teaching/training at Elementary, but recently got moved to the middle of nowhere. Bye Kristen!


You've got a friend like Ben...... like Ben.... like Ben!


The group is dwindling.. this was towards the end of the night. Tyler's getting ready to pull one of his shifty sneak-out-the-door-without-saying-bye moves.. I must learn his secrets!


On Christmas Eve, Ben, Peter, Minnie, and I went to Suzie's to have some chili and wine. We exchanged some presents then. I got a candle, loungewear, and a hat! It was great.. later in the night, after Peter and Minnie left, I got a Christmas call from my parents. While I was talking on the phone, Suzie and Ben called Emily.. this is how their conversation went:

Suzie: "It's Christmas Eve in the Beav!"

Emily: "You better not be listening to B. E. Taylor"

Suzie: "No, he's probably playing at the Big Beaver Fire Department"

I can't believe how much hate there is for the Beav and B. E. Taylor!!! 


Doing some gift wrapping..


It turned out to be a White Christmas after all! Well... sort of.. the snow didn't last through the day. But it was still nice to see it!


I tried to make dubu kimchi.. which is just fried kimchi with vegetables and pork that you eat with plain tofu. I ended up taking out the pork because I didn't like it. It wasn't the best but I'm working on it.


Just some more views from the glass elevator


This is where we play soccer when its warm! Notice the basketball courts.. they are rarely used


I met Ben before we went to Minnie's for Christmas and noticed these cool flowers


Ben with his fellow redcoats! I don't think he was too happy that I made him get in the picture.



For Christmas we went to Minnie's house. She got a roasted turkey from E-Mart. Suzie made mashed potatoes and carrots and then Minnie made some apple crumble. It was all so delicious! We were cooking with Whitney and eating with Van Morrison. It was a great time. After we ate we watched Christmas Vacation. Peter brought his projector and we watched it on the wall. 

Peter was in charge of making mulled wine


Heres the pre dinner spread! Peppered salami and cheese


Suzie and Minnie were in charge of preparing dinner. Noticed Suzie's expensive potato masher.. she would fit right in in the Beav!


The turkey!


Ben was in charge of cutting the turkey.. I was in charge of dancing around the room to Whitney! 


My dinner


We had the fire going on Minnies wall


On Monday night, our last night before starting at 7am for intensives, Cecily, Kristen and I got a few beers and something to eat after work. We met these older Korean men who work for Oracle.. which I guess is an American software company.. and we talked to them for hours! They were really nice and spoke great English. When they left, they paid for all our beers and food! It was so cool!

On Thursday after work, Ben, Cecily and I went to Sinchon to meet Mark, since we haven't seen him in awhile. We were starving so got a quick snack at Taco Bell! I was so excited.


After Taco Bell we went to a bar to get a drink or two and wait for Marks infamous "All you can eat barbeque" place to open. They had reruns of NFL games on the tv! No Steelers though.. I can't believe Bud Ice and Corona are the same price!!


Here's a picture of the all you can eat place. When you wanted more, you just went to the fridge area and got whatever kind of meat and sides you wanted.. all for only $8! It was great. Mark's been growing a dirty stache since his unemployment, but it suits him. He looks so different. 


I'll try to update it now every Friday since I have to wake up early for work everday, so keep it posted!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment